Monday, April 19, 2010

Times they are achangin...

I celebrate today! I celebrate the fact that after twenty-five years of deliberation, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Church Council has abolished its anti-gay policies, effective immediately. Of course I have to wonder WHY it took 25 years of deliberation to arrive at this place, but I celebrate nonetheless.  There are a great many denominations that have been discussing this for much longer and are not there yet.  I am not Lutheran, I'm not even exclusively Christian... but I do believe that this is a sign of hope. It is encouraging to see a Christian denomination conducting themselves in a Christ-like manner! I know... sounds like a no-brainer... but that is not always the case.  I'm not one to bash... just sayin'.  The fact that a major denomination like ELCA can take this step... is a very good thing.  But it IS only a step... I'll be interested to see how these policy changes translate into action, into affirmation and IN YOUR FACE inclusiveness in ELCA congregations in this country. 

Keepin' It Real...

No comments:

Post a Comment